What's new? - Check out my poems at my other blog

Sunday, December 23

Uncool & 2 Old 4 School



She:
Damnit! I can't be seen in these coffee shops anymore... I don't like it. They make me feel... So much older...

Me: What the heck! You're just 22 years old, woman!

He: Ha ha ha...

She: I mean, you see these 'kids' all over the place now and they seem so full of life, drinking underage, exploring sexuality... And stuff...

Me: Well, you have a warped sense of the term 'full of life'... Because, it certainly is not what you miss doing, rather it's just being jealous of never being able to do any of those things...

He: Huh?

She: True, I've never been adventurous or impulsive, but something about these kids makes me feel like I'm incomplete... And no, it isn't a philosophical argument about a glass being half-full/half-empty shit. It's just the lack of ever thinking, 'Hey! I could do this!'... And now it's years too late...

Me: Do you at this point of time really envy these kids? The 15 year old girls with weirdly thin, weak and frail bodies and pants way too low? Or the guys with starter caps and jeans that are just begging to be pantsed?
And you really need to define 'years too late', because from where I stand, I know that you can still get into a nightclub without having to try to act cool, or even sit morosely at a secluded seat at a club, or even tire from dancing for 10 minutes straight.
It isn't the ability at question here. It's the choice...
You'd much rather be a different person, choosing maturity, over being one of the minnows...

I mean, look around! These kids are a new generation by themselves. Gone are the days when a generation gap lasted about 10 years, because it's now not more than 4-5 years...
And every generation has a faithful pack of lemmings, each one trying to look like the other, Every one of them patronizing a washed-up rockstar, looking scruffy just to get noticed and with no regard for hygiene or well-kept hair...

It is NOT a conspiracy. The only reason they're all around you talking about how cool they are, is because they probably are... You just choose to discuss other things at the same place, with like minded people. Why does that make you feel angry or left out?

So what you need to tell yourself now is, different is not necessarily bad... It's just a phase...
And you really ought to leave the worrying about aging when you're almost 40, and please make sure I'm nowhere near you by then.

He: Heh... Yeah. That's what I meant to say...

(At this point, you'd naturally expect sense to be driven home, while worry takes a momentary trip to incognito... Alas, it isn't just a question of what you're talking about, but who you're talking to as well...
And you realise that when you made friends back in the days, you weren't as wise.
And in that select group, are people who just want to be heard, with no regard for what you have to say.)


She: Ah yes... I understand...
Oh my God! A whole bunch of school kids just walked in... I'm never going to enjoy a coffee at one of these places ever again... I mean, I just feel soo...

Me: Don't say it!
What the heck!
You're just 22!!


Damn! Never again...

12 Comments:

Blogger Echo said...

Only 22, so old. Imagine if he were a butterfly.

Thu Dec 27, 12:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*giggles*

you write well, got me laughing.

Hi

xx

Fri Jan 04, 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger Da Rodent said...

LOL..

Its funny to see school kids come to coffee shops, smoke ciggs and try to throw a gangster attitude. :P

Sat Jan 05, 01:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody said OMG I'm 16 when they turned sixteen!

Sat Jan 05, 01:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

22??????? and you call school kids kids....!!!1
so at 26 am I supposed to call them my grandkids??? baaah!

stop thinking and start living already..what would lorelai say???

Sun Jan 06, 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger farustar said...

whoa! your friend must meet me...lol!

still a kid at 22! you'll probably believe too...hahaha

Mon Jan 07, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger liam said...

heheh. nice dialogue. i've already begun to practice yelling at kids to get off my lawn. and pull their pants up.

Mon Jan 28, 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger Arvind said...

Echo -+>
If he were a butterfly, he would probably be many generations after..
Of course, if you ever find a butterfly that wears low-rise jeans, please let me know..


My Heart Is Young -+>
Thanks.. For stopping by and for complimenting my.. err.. skill with.. err.. writing..
I glanced at your blog and I stood frozen stiff.. Mainly because I couldn't really understand much..
This means you're an exceptionally great writer or I'm an exceptionally great dumbass.. Or both..
Which leads me to thinking if your praise has some sort of hidden meaning.. Hmmm..

Tue Feb 19, 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind said...

Joe -+>
Hahaha.. Let me tell you something I saw at our neighbourhood friendly 'Baywatch'..
These three plump kids, sat around talking more loudly than necessary at 4 in the afternoon..
And then, one of them took a half glass of Pepsi, chugged it down and slammed the glass back on the table.. What's more, he did the 'aahhh' like he'd just had a tequila shot or something.. I guess he just wanted to feel like an adult or something..
But the high point of the day was a passionately loud discussion about how they would totally kick some guy's ass in a real fight.. The moves they described sounded like a Power Rangers movie or something..

I fell off my chair laughing countless number of times..
Fuckin' posers!

Tue Feb 19, 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind said...

Sups -+>
That is probably because.. errrr... They were 16 at that time!
Umm... Sups.. Please keep up with the blog..


Mehnaz -+>
Hey! Face it, school kids are kids..
And if you really want to be called grandma (although I don't think that's going to be a problem what with your wrinkles and all), I could help you come up with some nicknames for you..
And Lorelai said, "I want you NOW! You big bad boy.."
Atleast, I think she said that..

Tue Feb 19, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind said...

Farah -+>
When you do get married, you will probably be creating history for playing a role in the first ever legal child marriage.. :P


Liam -+>
I completely understand.. I'd hate to see pants carelessly lying about on your lawn.. :P

Tue Feb 19, 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Da Rodent said...

@arvind: haha.. yeah, I can imagine that. check my blog for another baywatch-wannabe-kid incident. :P

Thu Apr 17, 11:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home